Today i am back with another delicious summer-inspired recipe: Mulberry Granita.
This is a traditional refreshing frozen treat from sicily, usually for breakfast in the summer months. In fact, it is quite common to sit at an outdoor cafe and order a granita on a sunny morning.
I remember enjoying my granita in Trapani in a small cafe in the old part of town. I can still almost taste it while. It was so good! It was something I always looked forward to, like a special summer treat.
Granite come in many flavors and they are actually served with whipped cream and brioche. I know these can seem like a strange combination, but trust me, they go really well together.
Mulberry Granita is my dad’s favourite. This granita is tangy, sweet and refreshing, just what you want to have on a hot day!
Enjoy and don’t forget to leave a nice comment.
Mulberry Granita – a traditional refreshing frozen treat from Sicily, usually enjoyed fro breakfast in summer!
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Freezing Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- Serving: 6
- 600 gms – 1 1/3 lbs. mulberries washed and hulled
- 350 ml – 1 1/2 cups water
- 300 gms – 1 1/2 cups sugar
- juice from 1 lemon
- Whipped cream to serve
- Mix the water with sugar and heat on the fire until the sugar dissolves. Chill.
- Blend the mulberries with the lemon juice. Mix with the sugar syrup and sieve.
- Transfer to a container, cover and freeze for 2 hours. Scrape it with a fork and freeze again. Repeat this until you get a sorbet-like consistency.
- Or churn in the ice cream maker for 20 minutes to 30 minutes, until the granita reaches a sorbet-like consistency.
- Serve immediately with some whipped cream.