Another Chinese recipe made in 2 hours, but worth the time Hoisin Mushroom Gua Baos is a mother great recipe you do not want to miss.
Tried this? Let us know in the comments below!
Hoisin Mushroom Gua Baos
Buns - Dry Ingredients
- 2 cups + 1 tbsp (275g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup warm soy milk
- 3 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tbsp neutral oil, plus more for brushing
Pickled Carrots and Cucumber
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced carrot
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar, or adjust according to desired sweetness
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 450g fresh mushrooms of choice (I used a mix of king oyster and shiitake)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Oil for cooking
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp maple syrup, or other liquid sweetener or sugar (adjust according to desired sweetness)
- ¼ tsp chinese five spice powder or pepper
- Vegan Kimchi
- Chopped roasted peanuts
- Chopped spring onions
- Pickled Carrots and CucumberDiscard the seeds and pit of the cucumber. Peel the carrot. Very thinly slice the cucumber and carrots.
- In a bowl, mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Mix well until the sugar dissolves. Adjust seasoning based on desired sweetness and sourness.
- Add in the cucumber and carrots. Mix well and leave to sit for 10-15 minutes. You can prepare this the day before and refrigerate it until ready to use. This way it’s also more flavourful!
- Hoisin MushroomsSlice the mushrooms into strips or batons.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Heat some oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the garlic. Sauté until lightly brown and then add in the mushrooms. Pour in the hoisin sauce and maple syrup or other sweetener. Mix well and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked through and release some water. Sprinkle chinese five spice or pepper and mix well. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Preparing the DoughMix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Place the soy milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at high for 25-30 seconds (note that this can vary depending on your microwave) until the milk