All the flavors you love from chicken fajitas in a fun and easy low carb format. Fajita Stuffed Chicken is a dish we love here at Dish On Sea that why we want you to have some fun with it.
HOW SHOULD I CUT MY CHICKEN SO I CAN STUFF IT?
There are a few different ways to stuff your chicken.
- You can butterfly it (slice lengthwise and fold it out into butterfly wings).
- You can pound it out thin, using a meat mallet, or even a rolling pin.
- You can also slice a little pocket into it.
HOW CAN I KEEP THE STUFFING FROM FALLING OUT WHILE THE CHICKEN BAKES?
Use toothpicks to secure the chicken and help keep all that delicious stuffing on the inside. Slide the toothpicks right through the chicken vertically to pinch the chicken together. Just be sure to remove the toothpicks before serving.
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the fajita seasoning ingredients and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, ovenproof skillet. Toss in the bell peppers and onions and sprinkle on 2 teaspoons of the fajita seasoning.
- Sauté until the veggies have softened, about 6 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, slice into the side of a chicken breast to form a large pocket, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Spoon in some of the fajita pepper mixture so that the breast is comfortably stuffed.
- Season the chicken on both sides with fajita seasoning.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and brown the chicken, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.